October 11, 2006

on my mind today

is having a dishwasher changing me? i know that sounds like a dumb thing to be thinking about but, during the last five years when i didn't have a dishwasher, i really enjoyed telling people that i didn't have one. it was like being a stubborn old person unwilling to accept new-fangled technology. i liked being like that- it reminded me of how i'm like my dad sometimes.
so now that i have one, i feel that i've become less interesting. it's not that i love doing dishes by hand, i just loved having something different to say about dishwashers. now i have a clean new apartment that was not built in 1910 and has a working dryer and garage door opener and garbage disposal and it's making me feel really ... regular.

(actually, i'm lying- i did have a dishwasher in my old house- i just never learned how to use it. partially by choice, partially because it was the size of a toaster oven.)

i guess i just feel like the modernization of my home life is eroding some of what makes me captivating and/or weird (however you'd like to define it), which is something i like about myself. it's not that i want to start pretending like i don't know how to work my dishwasher. but maybe i will start writing poetry about the joys of not having one.

4 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger caddy said...

you could always get rid of your cell phone. that would make you weird.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

can't wait to read the dishwasher poetry! you're so walden. you can say you're walden as fuck instead of punk as fuck. ok i think i'm in a weird mood...

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After two years in an apartment with a dark kitchen the size of a postage stamp (when I photograph food, I stick it on my living room's windowsill), I cannot wait for light, space, and a DISHWASHER.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think you're weird, sis. xoxo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home