February 5, 2008

a baby and no coffee

hello!

things are good here. i have a brand new nephew, born on groundhog's day. i bought him a new york times, dated 02/02/08, to give him on his 30th birthday when i will be 60. he has huge feet and the biggest bottom the doctor had ever seen. i went to the hospital on sunday to meet him. it's surreal to introduce yourself to a new family member. i imagined him driving me places when i am too old to drive myself. i imagined him at my funeral. it made me happy to know that i will be survived and our generation will not be the end of us.

in addition, this morning, my coworker made us pancakes for fat tuesday, and the excess and abundance of this day got me thinking about lent. it's been a long time since i gave something up for lent, and i think that my making a commitment and taking 40 days to reflect on it would be a very positive thing for me to do at this point in my life. so i've decided to give up coffee, one of my most consistent and beloved habits. in addition, i am going to give away the money that i would have spent on my daily coffee (let's say $2.00 per day even though it's cheaper than that because i brew my own). wish me 100% dedication. and poise through what will likely be miserable caffeine withdrawal.

finally, my dance teacher seems to have finally chosen a song for our recital. we will be tap dancing, in full costume, to "mr. big stuff" by jean knight.

3 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

"who do you think you aaare?" haha, that mr. big stuff? awesome! it seems like a good tempo! also, a second welcome to your big-bootied nephew! and i support your coffee resolution - not like i can ever get out to meet you anyway :) miss you! hope to make it friday!

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA DEAN! AND, to what or whom are you giving your 2.00? In a big collection at the end? daily to different things? I am curious!
-kha

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger psmee said...

emma, yes it is THAT mr. big stuff. and kha, i will probably give the money in a big collection in the end, but haven't decided yet where it will go. i'm open to creative coffee-related ideas. example- i could throw $2 a day into the tip jar at the coffeehouse down the street from me. but that would mean i'd have to GO there and be tortured by the smell...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home